Industry Use Case on Automation Using Ansible : A Knowledgeable Experience 📚
Hello guys, I would like to share my learnings from an insightful session which I got an opportunity to attend and it was based on the practical implementation of Industrial Use Case on Automation Using Ansible from industry experts like Mr. Sreejith Anujan Sir and Mr. Arun Eapen Sir.
Introduction to the Industry Experts !!
🔰 Mr. Arun Eapen Sir
Director, APAC Service Delivery, GLS RedHat Asia Pacific
- Specialist in Linux and Security
- First RHC*(RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA) in India
- Founding Member of the Free Software Foundation ,India
- Has been in open source for more than 24 years
🔰 Mr. Sreejith Anujan Sir
Lead Technical Instructor, Red Hat
- Primarily responsible for empowering Red Hat customers with tailor-made enablement services.
- Also heading the designing and delivering high-quality content on integrated solutions and trusted partners across APAC, ANZ, and APJ.
- Working with RedHat for around 12+ years
- Discussed Linux Container Internals as a speaker in DevConf.in 2018
What is Automation ?
Automation is the use of technology to accomplish a task with minimal human intervention.
Necessity for Automation
Due to the pandemic situation, multiple companies has undergone the process of digitization and moreover , moving towards automation to keep themselves in track with the growing demands of their customers.
List of ways in which they would move towards automation are as follows :
- Focusing on smaller tasks rather than on a big complex tasks
- Review what others have automated
- Treat automation like software
- Think out of the box !!!
What is Ansible ?
Ansible is an open-source software provisioning, configuration management, and application-deployment tool enabling infrastructure as code.
What is Ansible Tower ? (New Topic Learned)
Ansible Tower (formerly ‘AWX’) is a web-based solution that makes Ansible even more easy to use for IT teams of all kinds.
AWX is the community version of Ansible Tower.
Some more things about Ansible Tower I learned about in this session are as follows :
- It provides richer role-based access control, secure platform for sharing sensitive information. Also, it provides clustering features to overcome issues where control node fails.
- Template in Ansible Tower is term for discovering playbook, credentials and the type of the same could be added securely in Ansible Tower.
- Verbosity of the playbook could be mentioned in the Ansible Tower. Workflow visualizer in Ansible Tower could be used to run playbooks one after another.
- Credentials could be setup for cloud service providers like IBM Cloud, Digital Ocean, AWS and many more.
- Ansible Tower provides more functionalities by its integration with Git resulting in GitOps and with Slack , resulting in ChatOps.
- Notification titles like Email, Grafana, IRC and many more could be set up in Ansible Tower.
Some additional things I learned in this session
- Python Virtual Environment could be used to run Oracle Cloud, whose integration with Ansible is not present by default.
- Ansible Collections are a distributed format for Ansible content that includes playbooks, roles, modules and plugins.
At the end , I would conclude that it was blessing to be part of this wonderful session by experts that gave an insight to the industrial usage of automation and how Ansible could be used for the same